Luneth

Aug 5, 2020
It makes sense. They haven't just launched two new consoles in NSO and are launching their games slowly just for starting again maybe next year. That would be the worst idea possible regarding a subscription system. They already stated they wanted to grow on the NSO account, not rebooting it.

Last edited:

blownspeakers

May 7, 2019
Hmm they mention current gen support too which would imply that they have no plans to drop current gen developments and support for some years tho.
So yeah, this kinda confirms that whatever Nintendo is planning is going to be some kind of Switch Pro.
still I wonder if it will have some kind of additional gimmick (they won't release just another switch, right? right??? there has to be ""something"")

edit: yes I get y'all, I understood it wrong, it doesn't have to be a pro console, no need to keep mentioning me to explain me the same.

Last edited:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
What if Nintendo keeps Switch as their handheld offering and their new console is a dedicated high end Nvidia-powered home console with DLSS 3.0 etc and blows PS5/XSX away?

Yeah it's totally happening. 200%. Hype.

Looking forward to the one trillion raytraced Marios tech demo.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't it probably too late to be doing R&D on the next console? Could this be for the next next console?

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
No one should be expecting a cutting edge 4k system from nintendo. Don't be foolish.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really a high performance console, but high performance implementation could mean different things.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
it seems that people either expect a Switch that is just 1.1 times stronger than the current one or 100x stronger. nothing inbetween.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Anyone thinking the next device is ditching Switch software in any capacity is fooling themselves imo. Nintendo has been clear in the past that Switch was to represent a shift towards a more iPhone-like model.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
What if Nintendo keeps Switch as their handheld offering and their new console is a dedicated high end Nvidia-powered home console with DLSS 3.0 etc and blows PS5/XSX away?

Yeah it's totally happening. 200%. Hype.

Looking forward to the one trillion raytraced Marios tech demo.

Clearly not happening but based on how power efficient Ada is, I'd love to see what Nvidia could do in a Series S sized box for Nintendo. They could absolutely blow away a PS5 with that power budget. 4K120 (via DLSS3) path tracing on a Nintendo console the size of a Series S. It would be incredible.

One can dream.

Mar 19, 2021
Hmm they mention current gen support too which would imply that they have no plans to drop current gen developments and support for some years tho.
So yeah, this kinda confirms that whatever Nintendo is planning is going to be some kind of Switch Pro.
still I wonder if it will have some kind of additional gimmick (they won't release just another switch, right? right??? there has to be ""something"")

But the PS5 isn't a PS4 Pro even though it had many cross-gen games, so why would the next Switch be a Switch Pro?

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017

Not necessarily. Cross platform development just means that they want some of the games they're working on to either be scalable across two generations, which is extremely common for transition-period development. It's the same as how a large portion of PS5 games also release on PS4.

A "Switch Pro" wouldn't be cross-generation because it would be the same generation.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Soooo... is this for the Switch 3 then? Would be kind of late otherwise?

Oct 27, 2017
Why is there this weird narrative that BC = Pro, not successor, but only when speaking about Nintendo??? As if previous successor systems didn't have BC...
It just comes across as people trying to subtly downplay the power increase in the next Switch

blownspeakers

May 7, 2019
Why is there this weird narrative that BC = Pro, not successor??? As if previous successor systems didn't have BC...
It just comes across as people trying to subtly downplay the power increase in the next Switch
I'm sorry, I just said that because to me, reading that, it felt like it's not backwards support, but support for both at once.
Like, instead of having backwards support, everything has to work in both.
Guess I misread that wrong - and yeah definitely not trying to downplay power increase in the next console or anything like that.

Pheonix Will

Sep 6, 2021
Nah, this ain't a Pro. They might well call it something like Switch Plus or Super Switch or something but based on the hardware leaks its anything but a pro and more a full blown successor.

Nintendo are just adopting the same strategy employed by Microsoft/Sony in developing for the PS4/Xbox1 and PS5/Series.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
next console please nintendo. I am over the limitations of the switch.
Show me that POWWWAAAA

733caf7165eb7884d09cf38c8e15261c.gif

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
It makes sense. They haven't just launched two new consoles in NSO and are launching their games slowly just for starting again maybe next year. That would be the worst idea possible regarding a subscription system. They already stated they wanted to grow on the NSO account, not rebooting it.

Thank god for this though. I was so worried they'd reset it again lmao

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
No one should be expecting a cutting edge 4k system from nintendo. Don't be foolish.

People also shouldn't expect Switch games to get updated on a potential Pro. For all we know Nintendo could go the Bloodborne route and never update their games, although being available on more powerful consoles (ps4pro, ps5), and only spend resources to visuals and performance on newer games specifically made for pro.

Edit: what I meant, BB is available on more powerful hardware than it originally launched on, but never got a res/perf update. Clarifying because my original text was worded weird, although I'll blame that to me just now waking up.

Baobab

Feb 4, 2021
In what sense this situation indicates that this is a PRO console?
It is exactly the same situation as the PS5....

Jackano

Oct 27, 2017
They handle mostly middleware. Just like they mentionned in the job posting.
They did work/originated the idea of the NES and SNES mini. Mostly because Aurélien (IIRC) liked emulation and raspberrypies and that sort of things.

75 of them now, where do they stack them lol. Cheers guys anyway. Time for a software team no?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Not necessarily.

I think it will be a proper Switch 2, but developers will have the possibility of making cross-gen games that contain both the Switch and Switch 2 builds on the cartridge, just like Xbox discs can contain both the Xbox One and Xbox Series builds. And Nintenfo itself will probably have a cross generational period in where their first party games are cross gen. But again, one single SKU for both platforms. For example, Metroid Prime 4 might launch as a cross-gen game.